Candidates who are considered for an interview must be prepared to submit a concise portfolio of their work as a teacher. Please do not submit these items prior to being scheduled for an interview.
This should be a tailored, focused presentation:
Northwest Academy also is interested in candidates who are artists or professionals in non-teaching fields who are considering a career in education. We recognize that such candidates may not be able to meet the above criteria in all respects; we encourage such individuals to tailor their presentation accordingly. Certification is not a prerequisite for employment.
- Examples of lesson plans in the appropriate discipline(s).
- Samples of assessments from 2 subject areas that reflect varied approaches to assessing student learning.
- A concise discussion of a lesson that you have given that did not go well and one that did go well, with accompanying explanations on what went well and what could be improved.
- A brief description of your ideal classroom. You should focus on your role within the classroom, management and organization strategies, and the roles students play in their daily experiences in your classroom. Please provide insights into your choices.
- A concise description of your leadership and/or teaching style and guiding philosophies, highlighting particular strengths and providing concrete examples of experiences that provide insight into your leadership and/or teaching capacities.
- Additional items that you feel highlight your knowledge and experience.