Northwest Academy is committed to inspiring students to discover their intellectual and artistic voices in a creative and supportive atmosphere fueled by curiosity and constructive challenge.
Northwest Academy will be recognized as a center of excellence in proficiency-based education, artfully blending academic instruction and experience. Graduates of the school will be innovative thinkers who chart their own futures and excel in a diverse global society.
Northwest Academy’s core values guide the Board, administration, faculty and staff in their efforts to provide students with a challenging and unique education.
- Education in both academics and arts, results in a more complete and balanced individual who, while being productive, also leads an inspired and meaningful life.
- Talented faculty, passionate about their subject areas, and the support of free and open inquiry motivates students’ interest in learning and creative thinking.
- Student engagement, curiosity and creative thinking expand when nurtured by accomplished and energetic faculty who promote participation and welcome debate.
- Students thrive in an environment where both individuality and collaboration are encouraged and fostered.
- Proficiency-based placement enhances students’ motivation and initiative, while allowing a student to work through education at relatively accelerated or a more leisurely personal pace.
- Intellectual and artistic courage grow from a culture that stimulates fascination with ideas and diversity of perspective.
- Students achieve when they are guided to be self-reliant, intrinsically motivated and advocates for themselves.
- Students reach higher personal levels when they work in a psychologically safe environment, devoid of put-downs, ridicule, and social cliques. It is the school’s understanding that a student culture with these important values must be strategically developed and upheld.
- Creativity is one of the most important human qualities that must be nurtured if a student is to become adaptable during change.
- The school intends to recognize talent in its faculty, students and administrators. It will be an environment that nurtures and supports achievement, curiosity, risk-taking, hard work and questioning.
A commitment to equity and inclusion lies at the heart of Northwest Academy’s culture and its arts and academic partnership. Since the founding of the school, we have enjoyed the uniqueness of each individual student and teacher. Their diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives create a culture rich with mutual respect, authenticity and a commitment to justice. These include, but are not exclusive to, a wide array of economic backgrounds, races, family dynamics, sexual orientations, gender identity, physical abilities, ethnicities, and cultures. Such diversity is essential to our staff, and to our students’ abilities to develop into thoughtful, creative individuals who will lead inspired and meaningful lives.