We are excited to hold our annual All-School Service Day, where groups of students from different grade levels will work together to give back to our neighborhood and the greater Portland community, learn from one another, and build community.
The goals of our all-school service day are to:
- get students out into the community to show how they can make a difference, even in one day
- provide a diversity of projects to pique student interests
- provide an opportunity to acknowledge our own privilege and use it to help others
- build community through shared experiences, especially between the middle and high schools
- give high school students the opportunity to be role models to the middle school students
- build stronger, more lasting connections between the school and community organizations
All students are expected to participate in service day!
This is a great opportunity for students to work together across grades and get to know each other a little better. Faculty and staff will also be participating, truly making it an ALL- SCHOOL event! The service project portion of the day will happen between approximately noon and 3 pm.
Parent Chaperones are always needed (and we love having you) for support and transportation! If you are interested in chaperoning, please fill out the Parent Chaperone Interest Form!
2020 Service Day Activity Types:
Environmental maintenance and exploration
Examples: Ivy pulling, planting trees/plants. Some may include educational hikes.
Adult/senior care centers
Examples: Working with residents at Lambert House/Marie Smith Center, helping design equipment/supplies for upcoming events at Hollywood Senior Center, maintenance of space (painting, cleaning, etc.)
Food kitchen support/service
Examples: Helping organize the kitchen, preparing food, cooking soup/dessert, serving food to patrons, etc.
Assisting at service organizations:
Examples: Organizing supplies Free Geek, cleaning books for the Book Bank, helping CHAP or JOIN organize materials, etc.
Arts & Creative
Examples: Mural prep for P:EAR, sewing pillowcases